Monday, February 16, 2009

Still Photography...you're doing it wrong.

You know what the difference is between good photographers an great photographers? Great photographers don't show you their mistakes.

So keeping with my theme of constant improvement, there will be no photos published from my last attempt at still photography. It's not that they were so awful, but they were very uninspiring and boring and (most of all) incorrectly lit.

So the idea was to take some pictures of the irises and lilies that E got for Valentine's and for her Birthday. I thought I would try using multiple lighting sources to bring out the details (tricky since they were white flowers). So I gathered up all the lights and carefully positioned and pointed them loosely based on things I had read. So here's the list of things I did wrong:

Used lighting with different color temps
Subject too close to the background
Backlight too close to subject

Try as I might I wasn't able to tweak all of these things to produce an interesting picture. Luckily all of these are easily fixable, so I'll try again soon.

No comments: