Saturday, June 7, 2008

News - 060608


News - 060608, originally uploaded by bostonaday.

This is the second post of this batch where I almost started to whine about my camera. You see, I can't really "set" the aperture on my camera. I can trick, cajole, and otherwise encourage the camera to choose a specific-ish aperture, but I can't just make it shoot wide open to create the narrow depth of field that I wanted here.

So if the news boxes pop so much they almost don't look real, it's because the picture's not real. I blurred the background to create the illusion of a narrow depth of field. I probably should have blurred the building on the right a little bit less than the rest of the background to give the picture some more depth and make it seem more plausible.

But enough whining about the photoshop, I want to go back to me whining about my camera. I need to stop. Now that I'm looking at the results I thought of two or three more things I could have done to make the picture better. Back up and zoom in to alter the perspective. Knock the ISO down even farther. Force the shutter speed up. These things aren't necessarily easy adjustments on my camera (which is probably why I didn't think of them at the end of a long day at work), but they are possible. And the point is to learn new things, which I did because I had to really think about what went wrong. Things I wouldn't have learned if all I had to do was crank the aperture around until I reached the end.

1 comment:

edj3 said...

The newspaper machines almost look like they are in 1:12 scale and could be used in the doll house.i